Saturday 2 July 2011

Mini Egg Muffins

I was rummaging through my snack cupboard the other day and ended up finding 2 bags of mini eggs left over from easter that I must have forgot about (no idea how as I LOVE mini eggs!).  I was so tempted to eat them all there and then, but I just about managed to stop myself and convinced myself that they would taste a lot better sitting on top of even more chocolate :P

So, I had a little look online for what I could make, and in the end decided upon chocolate muffins topped with chocolate frosting and my beloved mini eggs! Perfect! :D

The mixture makes 12 muffins, which themselves are really moist and chocolatey, and the addition of the frosting makes them even more moist and yummy! Please excuse my icing skills, I was in a hurry as I was going out that evening!  If you’d rather not cook with nuts, you can swap the ground almonds for 100g more flour.



Ingredients:
For the cake:
150g pot natural yogurt
3 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
150g golden caster sugar
100g self-raising flour
40g cocoa powder
100g ground almonds
175g unsalted butter, melted

For the topping:
225g icing sugar, sifted
100g butter, softened
2tbsp cocoa powder
30ml hot water
Mini eggs


Method:
- line a 12-hole muffin tin with cases and heat oven to 190C
- in a jug, mix the yogurt, eggs ahuhund vanilla extract
- put the dry ingredients, plus a pinch of salt, into a large bowl and make a well in the middle
- add the yogurt mix and melted butter, and quickly fold in with a spatula or metal spoon but don’t overwork it
- spoon into the cases (they will be quite full) and bake for 18-20 mins or until golden, risen and springy to the touch
- cool for a few minutes, then lift onto a wire rack to cool completely
- to decorate, beat the icing sugar and butter together, then blend the cocoa and water to a smooth paste and beat into the butter mix
- spread over the top of the muffins and decorate with mini eggs

No comments:

Post a Comment